A word to the wise from USA Today/Kaiser Foundabtion editorial board.
- Carry your membership card everywhere.
- Understand your plan’s doctor and hospital network.
- Stay in the network.
- Try to stay in-network even if it’s for emergency care.
- Avoid all emergency rooms unless it’s really an emergency.
- Pay monthly premiums on time and accurately.
- Register online with your new insurance company.
- Save paperwork. Make sure you really owe what doctors and hospitals bill you for.
- If you don’t get satisfaction from providers or insurers, try regulators.
- Do read the plan’s summary of benefits and coverage.
Did they mention STAY IN NETWORK? GOOD. My advice to you: STAY IN NETWORK.
It’s interesting that as a rule, my healthy clients are not overly concerned with the network coverage. Clients with medical conditions have a much greater awareness. I suggest that the healthy clients learn a lesson from those with medical conditions.