Yes, no, maybe so.
To avoid the Obamacare penalty and purchase a Qualified Health plan, you’re too late UNLESS a Qualified Life Event (QLE) has occurred. If you have a QLE, then a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) will be created that will allow you a specified time to enroll.
What is a QLE?
Loss of Minimum Essential Coverage due to:
- Divorce of legal separation
- Change in full time employment status
- Employer no longer offering coverage
- Voluntary or involuntary termination of employment
- Death of parent or spouse
- Change in dependent status (i.e. dependend child turning 26 years old)
Gaining or becoming a dependent due to:
- Birth of child
- Adoption of child
- Placement for adoption of child
- Guardianshipo/court ordere dependent
- Permanent move to a new state
- Existing coverage is being changed to a qualified health plan
When you experience a qualifying life event, you will be able to enroll or change your health insurance within 60 days of the event.